Coldwater United Methodist Church was organized in 1860 as Smith's Chapel. The church was located on Molino Road one half mile north of present day Coldwater Creek Road. The building lot was deeded to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South on December 19, 1860 for a sum of $5.00. The known records that existed from 1860 to 1890 are believed to have been destroyed in a parsonage fire in the 1970's.
It is interesting to note that on April 25, 1912 the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South purchased the black Baptist Church (Reuben's Chapel) in Coldwater for the sum of $100.00. The deed is recorded at the Lincoln County Court House in Book Y-Y, page 506. The Smith's Chapel building and land was sold to the people of Reuben Chapel. The Reuben's Chapel Baptist Church was torn down and our present church building was erected in the Spring of 1913 and remained pretty much unchanged through the 1940's. The original building has been improved from over the years to meet Church and congregation needs.
In 1983 Carter Hill Cemetery was established and made part of the Coldwater United Methodist Church. The land for the cemetery was donated by the Carter family and consists of approximately 15 acres. The Cemetery is located just south of the Church building on Old Railroad Bed Road. Our Church members take great pride in the operations of the Cemetery as well as providing for Perpetual Care.
Our traditional Cajun Chicken Supper is held each year on the first Saturday in June. It is a day spent cooking chicken in our infamous wooden boxes. This has been an annual tradition since 1989, proudly serving our community for 31 years. People come from all around the county to enjoy our dinners and fellowshipping with family and friends.
We celebrate Homecoming every year on the fourth Sunday in September. In 2013 we celebrated our 100 year anniversary of worshipping in our present-day Church.
Coldwater United Methodist Church has been blessed by GOD through the many generations of people who have passed through its doors. Our long heritage is one of Warm Hearts, Caring Hands and Welcoming Spirits.